Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Birthday - 2 challenges

I had to force myself to stamp today.  Ha..just kidding :)
My stash of birthday cards was gone.  So, it was time to play along in a challenge or two.

This card is going into The Paper Players Challenge #62 - Birthdays

And - The Lawnscaping Challenge #17 - Embossing Extravaganza
This is my first time playing along with them!

And, my card ~

This style is a little out of my comfort zone.  I really like those "cute" cards that I see so many people create.  But, they're difficult for me.  So...I decided to push myself to use some of those cute stamps that haven't seen much ink.  Once I finally came up with an idea, I enjoyed making this card.  I sponged some Bashful Blue ink onto the white cardstock, using a scalloped oval piece of cs as a mask.  For the grassy hills, I used a woodgrain embossing folder to add some texture.  I wasn't sure how that would look...but I'm liking it!
The larger bird was colored with markers and popped up on dimensional adhesive.  I also stamped and cut out a few extra tail feathers for him, and layered them underneath.
I think I still some practice with this style of card.  But, that just gives me more excuses to stamp...doesn't it?
Thanks for popping in to take a look!






Supplies:
Ink: basic black, close to cocoa, basic gray, summer sun, marina mist, certainly celery, bashful blue (SU)
Card stock: garden green, close to cocoa, whisper white
Stamps: hang ups, sentiment sampler (Paper Smooches)
Other: woodgrain embossing folder (Tim Holtz by Sizzix), blue gem (the Paper Studio), glossy accents (Ranger), scor-tape, white signo gel pen

10 comments:

  1. Oh, we are so glad you played along with us this week. I love the "cute" scene you have created here and the woodgrain embossed hills are fabulous! Thanks for playing along with us at Lawnscaping this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, this is gorgeous. It doesn't look like you were stretched outside your comfort zone; it has come together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card Susie--it looks completely effortless! Love the woodgrain embossed hills and those sweet birdies! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out so cute! The birds are so cheerful, and your rolling hills are great! Thanks for having fun with The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think both of your challenge cards are great--totally different cards, different feelings, but it is fun to try something out of our usual style! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This is a great idea. It may be out of your comfort zone but sure turned out adorably

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susie, this card is just plain old cute! I love those little birdies on the wire and the embossed rolling hills. You need to step out of your comfort zone more often. Thanks for playing along with us girls at the Paper Players ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is so "tweet". I love how you used wood grain for texture of the grass -such a great touch. It caught my eye right away. You did "cute" perfectly. Thank you for playing along with The Paper Players birthday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Susie! This is really cute, love how you used the embossing. So happy you play with us at the Paper Players.
    Smiles,
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susie, this is a VERY cute card, indeed! Love those "tweet" little birds and the fun scene you created. The embossing is perfect, too. Thanks so much for joining us this week at The Paper Players for our birthday challenge!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I love to read them!

Hey friend! Freshly Made Sketches Challenge

Today, I'm playing along with Freshly Made Sketches #631 Challenge.  A sketch always helps me with a starting point for my cards. There...